What type of tool to remove plenum on 3.0

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by Oppie, Jan 20, 2004.

  1. Oppie

    Oppie Guest

    Was looking at the '01 3L motor and what was involved to remove the plenum
    for service.

    The asembly is held on with what looks to be male Torx fasteners. Does
    anybody know what tool mates to this?

    On the air tubes from the plenum to head, there are snap clamps that also
    have to be removed. what is the correct tool for this? Looks like they are
    harder to put back on than to remove. Was just thinking of replacing with
    regular hose clamps but this just looks so neat (and probably doesn't tear
    the rubber).

    Thanks - Oppie
    Oppie, Jan 20, 2004
  2. Oppie

    BANDIT2941 Guest

    The asembly is held on with what looks to be male Torx fasteners. Does
    Not trying to be a dick, but probably female torx ??
    Are the the type of clamps like those on a CV boot for instance? I've also seen
    clamps similar to that used on power steering lines. If so you need special
    pliers to put them on.
    BANDIT2941, Jan 20, 2004
  3. Oppie

    Oppie Guest

    Thanks bandit, Guess I was asking for that. I'd never seen a female Torx
    tool, only males in the past. Didn't know if it was something I could find
    at Sears, and then if I would have to buy a whole set or just the size
    Yes, looks like the type of band used on CV boots, just about 2" diameter.
    Looks like a tight fit so wasn't sure if the tool used on CV boots would
    work. My last car had another type of strap securing the boot so I don't
    have the pliers type of tool.

    Father's day is approaching... Time to make a tool list <grin>

    Oppie, Jan 21, 2004
  4. Oppie

    BANDIT2941 Guest

    Thanks bandit, Guess I was asking for that. I'd never seen a female Torx
    Thats a very good question. I've never actually used the female torx myself as
    they're pretty rare. Hope its not one of those deals you have to buy off the
    snap on truck or it will cost some $$$
    BANDIT2941, Jan 22, 2004
  5. Oppie

    Bob Shuman Guest

    I own a set of female Torx sockets. I seem to recall using it once a few
    years back and that was why I purchased the set. Certainly not something
    you will use frequently.

    In any event, I seem to recall picking this up at Sears in their specialty
    tool area. I do not believe the set is a "Craftsman".

    Bob Shuman, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Oppie

    Oppie Guest

    Good answers-

    I took a course on blacksmithing a few years ago. Learned how to forge my
    own tools if I have to. not terribly good at it yet and still prefer to buy
    specialty tools when I can afford it. Besides, getting the right temper and
    hardness just by watching the oxidation colors while heating (old school
    method) is a bit vague on modern alloys.

    Oh well, off to Sears to have a look.
    Oppie, Jan 22, 2004
  7. Oppie

    Napalm Heart Guest

    I have a set of female Torx sockets. I'm pretty sure they are Lisle
    brand. I got them at an independent tool store near me.

    Napalm Heart, Jan 22, 2004
  8. Oppie

    Napalm Heart Guest

    I'm not sure what size you're dealing with, but I have found that some
    Torx bolts can be removed with a 6-point wrench/socket. The bolts
    that hold the seat in on my '96 SL2 are Torx head and I used a 6-point
    box-end ratchet wrench to take the bolts out, as there isn't room to
    get a socket on the bolts.

    Napalm Heart, Jan 22, 2004
  9. Oppie

    Oppie Guest

    Yes, that's it. Thanks Ken
    Set of 10pc, sizes E5 - E20, Recommended Retail $31.95

    Now that I think of it, they also had the 12 point (torx?) bits to remove
    the half shafts on my old VW.

    Regards - Oppie
    Oppie, Jan 23, 2004
Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.