Camshaft

Discussion in 'Saturn VUE' started by Andy, Feb 9, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy

I have low compression on cylinder 3 and after doing a compression test and hearing a tick from my valve cover I expect a bad hydraulic lifter. So far I have the exhaust cam out and all the cap bolts out on the input side, but the shaft seems to be stuck and won't lift out. Does the end have a bearing in the side of the head?

Andy, Feb 9, 2023
  2. Andy

Andy

Solved it. I was using Chilton and they mentioned larger bolts on the end cap, but never said it looked nothing like the other caps. In fact, it is a complete housing for the end bearing and needed a rubber mallet to separate it from the head. So the answer was yes, there's a bearing in the head. Next is soaking the lifters in acetone.

Andy, Feb 10, 2023
  3. Andy

Andy

Used mineral spirits instead. Soaked for three days, then drained and checked all by pressing down on the head, using the rocker. All remained rock solid except for the two input on cylinder 4 - they were springy and moved. (Why couldn't it be 3, where the problem lies.) Not sure what this means. Any ideas?

Andy, Feb 13, 2023
Ask a Question