3.5L power steering rack and pinion replacement

Discussion in 'Saturn Aura' started by Pixnad, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Pixnad

Pixnad

Any one replace a rack n pinion? Any suggestions? I have a rebuilt rack n pinion ready to go in. In need to replace pressure line seals. First attempt not good. Ordered more. Is there a filter? I can't find one. How can I flush without rack n pinion in? Does it need to be flushed and what to use? I know it's a lot of questions. I'm not finding a lot if info on this model.

Pixnad, Dec 2, 2018
  2. Pixnad

Pixnad

I'm going to reply to my own post. Since I did this on my own it was a challenge, but not to big of of one. The seals I purchased were knock offs. But since Rock Auto sold them i thought I'd try them. They did refund me. They're excellent. I did purchased a rebuilt R&P. Word to the wise. Make sure everything fits before installing. I replace the intermittent shaft too. Make sure you clean any coating paint from the seal holes. Since winter is here i just popped the old seals out and reused them. They are supposed to be one time seals, but they didn't leak. Maybe i just got lucky. Also attach the lower u-joint of the intermittent shaft first, then the upper one before you bolt the rack down. I put the top on first and just couldn't get the lower one on. Might be easier with a lift, but don't have one. That's my story.

Pixnad, Dec 16, 2018
Ask a Question