2007 Vue Greenline Intermittent No Crank or No Start issue

Discussion in 'Saturn VUE' started by bmetdave, Aug 4, 2019.

1. bmetdave

bmetdave

We purchased a 2007 Vue Greenline 4 months ago with 73,000 miles. Recently we started to have no-crank issues when key turned. 1st time issue occured, I shorted starter solenoid with key in run, drove home, replaced starter and large 30 amp fuse under hood in small fuse block. 2 days later, same problem; found starter wire pinched between dipstick tube and harness, rubbed through; corrected, isolated with rubber tubing; replaced fuse again. Four days later, while 450 miles from home in Atlanta, fuse to turn signals blew. Replaced fuse, no crank issue back. 30 amp starter fuse ok. Tried shorting solenoid to starter terminal; crank, but no start. Checked other fuses; all ok. Checked for fuel pressure by pressing schrader valve in fuel rail; no pressure. No fuel pump noise when key turned on. Located fuel pump relay; checked for power to both sides of contacts with key on; no voltage. Checked continuity on relay coil; good. After a while, engine began cranking with key, but still no start condition. Called dealer, called mobile mech; nothing they could do. Tried disconnecting negative cable from battery and shorted between negative cable and positive terminal of fuse block (to disipate any residual charge as per dealer mechanic I spoke with). No crank, no start. Some more fiddling with relays, re-seating, etc... engine would crank, but still no start, still no fuel pressure, Checked for spark (during time when it would crank with key); good. Mind you, this was in the middle of Atlanta rush hour, in an afternoon downpour with less than a second of lightening to thunder interval. After 2 and a half hours, in desperation, at the suggestion of my son to check continuity of fuel pump wire (could not get to pump wire at tank), I released 4 clips that hold the under hood fuse block (disconnected 3 positive cables first) to check for loose wire on back (remember no power to fuel pump relay contacts); nothing found, pushed on connectors underneath; re-seated fuse block in clips. Resigned myself that we would be spending night in Atlanta. Said a VERY sincere prayer to our Lord (I'm not kidding, I believe in His power), and told my son to try one more time. It started. Told him not to shut off and we are going home instead of to our next college tour stop. Made it home around 230 am. Never shut off car, even for gas or food. Turn signal fuse blew again at about 250 mile mark, but made it home. Trying to locate wiring schematic to determine if connection between turn signal fuse (another circuit seeking ground via fuse?) and no start or no crank issues. Had code reader with me at the time; no codes at all. Intermittently having common key-stuck in ignition problem, but not with Wife's key ever; strange. Like the car, low miles, don't feel like it is reliable tho. Planning to re-seat connectors on bottom of under hood fuse block. Really need some help with this please.

bmetdave, Aug 4, 2019
  2. bmetdave

bmetdave

Another forum connected me with alldatadyi.com. $30/yr for one vehicle. Lots of great material there. After reviewing site and printing off several references, started troubleshooting. First, car started; pulled up on ramps. Disconnected battery and began to pull under-hood fuse box to clean contacts and connectors. Noticed that C2 (purple) connector appeared loose. While trying to figure out correct way to release connectors, realized that the three small bolt that secure the inner cover actually keep the connectors seated. They were loose. Believe this trouble was self-induced. The first time no-crank issue happened (due to short on starter wire to dip stick tube), during troubleshooting. I pulled the cover to the UH fuse box, saw the internal cover and assumed, incorrectly, that the small bolts needed to be loosened to remove inner cover. I never tightened them back up completely, therefore causing my intermittent fuel issue. Tightened and then checked voltage to fuel pump relay. All readings as expected 12 v to pin 30 and then 12v to relay coil when key turned to run. Still trying to determine why turn signal fuse blew twice. Also noticed that drivers door no longer causes the dome light to illuminate. Don't see any connection with UH fuse box; may be unrelated issue. Will continue to troubleshoot with AlldataDYI info.

bmetdave, Aug 4, 2019
Ask a Question