2005 Vue AC compressor shuts off when Fan speed is 3 or 4

Discussion in 'Saturn VUE' started by JZVue, Jun 29, 2021.

1. JZVue

JZVue

My AC was recently repaired (two years ago) with new compressor, freon and so forth, so I know the system is in good shape. The AC compressor is shutting off when I move the fan speed above 2--it works fine in 1 and 2. The AC light does indicate what is going on with the compressor kicking in or out. It lights up in 1 and 2, goes out when I go to 3 or 4 fan speed. I can hear it clicking in and out. The fan does have all 4 speeds, so I don't believe it is the resistor pack. It seems to me the compressor thinks the fan is not running on 3 or 4 and shuts off. I am guessing the compressor gets the signal to run from the control panel which means the fan is running and the AC button is pushed. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe there is a enough of a voltage drop on 3 and 4 that no longer keeps the compressor happy?

JZVue, Jun 29, 2021
  2. JZVue

JZVue

In case anyone is still reading these posts.... I replaced the AC/Fan relay, which is the gray cube shaped relay found in the passenger side fuse box (which is under the plastic panel in the center console). This seems to have helped. This relay is very common, especially in GM vehicles of this era.

JZVue, Jul 19, 2021
Ask a Question