Strut to knuckle bolts replacement

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by Cadubwise, Sep 28, 2023.

1. Cadubwise

Cadubwise

Hey guys,
    I recently was replacing the status on my 2004 Saturn Ion and while attempting to take off the nut for the strut and knuckle bolt, the bolt just snapped. I also noticed the bolt has an oblong head and can only be loosened with a standard wrench- is that something I can replace with just a normal-headed bolt? I don't know where to find the bolt and nut for where the strut bolts into the knuckle, does anyone know where I can find those?

Cadubwise, Sep 28, 2023
  2. Cadubwise

sedtyh

In a perfect world they would come out that easy. More likely you'll need a heavy duty impact gun. My crappy $20 impact gun from harbor freight wouldn't even budge mine. I think most mechanics tighten the snot out of these... and when you add some rust to the picture... they're a bear without the right tools.

sedtyh, Oct 1, 2023
  3. Cadubwise

Derf

If it is an oblong bolt it sounds like a camber adjusting bolt for wheel alignment purposes.

. You should use a one-piece bolt that has the cam built into it, with a matching nut. The GM ones being put out now are aftermarket some other shit brand. Napa has good ones for Saturn's.

I splurged for a DeWalt 1200 ft lb Max breakaway torque cordless. It's meant for up to 800 in normal use but can Spike to 1200. It's nice having that power working on a 95 Saturn SC2 with 28 years of rust, but you have to put some PB blaster on those things first and let it soak, or you may be breaking things off your car on a regular basis. Granted this was probably not a grade 10.9 bolt...,

Derf, Nov 11, 2023
Ask a Question