02 L300 ABS issue

Discussion in 'Saturn L-series' started by ALX, Aug 24, 2023.

1. ALX

ALX

I am troubleshooting an ABS issue (P1669) that was originally accompanied by a P0502 DTC. Looking at live data, the VSS is showing 0MPH at all times. So I replaced the VSS even tho it ohmed correctly (only $20.00). Occasionally the ABS light goes off and the VSS starts reporting the vehicle speed correctly once again, although most of the time the ABS light is on and the VSS shows 0MPH on the scan tool.. I'm thinking that I need to check the wiring harness between the ABS module and the VSS. I'm guessing that the VSS signal is going through the ABS module before it gets to my scan tool but that's just a guess. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the ABS system (2002 Saturn L300) ?
    A pin-out for the connector at the ABS module would be a great help !

Also looking for wiring between the ABS module and the PCM...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
    ALX, Aug 24, 2023
  2. ALX

ALX

For anyone else experiencing this issue:
    The only info I could find online said to replace the PCM.
    As a shot in the dark, I got a used ABS unit from E-Bay and replaced just the module portion of the ABS which solved the problem. It's an extreme PITA to replace the module without removing the entire ABS unit, but it can be done on this model with some scrapes and some cussing. If you can do the job without opening up the hydraulics, you can avoid issues when bleeding the brake system which requires a scan tool to run the ABS through a series of steps to purge all air from the ABS.

ALX, Sep 13, 2023
Ask a Question