Saturn Car Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Vue AWD or FWD

 
Howard Slomer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-24-2004

I interested in buying a 2004 Saturn VUE V6. The AWD model seems
to be the logical choice because of it's better winter driving
characteristics. Other than the lower gas mileage, does anyone know of any
other potential problems (increased maint problems, rapid tire wear,
performance issues, etc.) with the AWD model compared to the FWD model?

Thanks in
advance,
Howard


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bill Kirkpatrick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-25-2004
Howard Slomer wrote:

> I interested in buying a 2004 Saturn VUE V6. The AWD model seems
> to be the logical choice because of it's better winter driving
> characteristics. Other than the lower gas mileage, does anyone know of any
> other potential problems (increased maint problems, rapid tire wear,
> performance issues, etc.) with the AWD model compared to the FWD model?
>
> Thanks in
> advance,
> Howard
>
>

I can't speak for any potential problems specific to the AWD, but I know I'm
sure glad I chose it as an option. It's come in handy a few times already for me
this winter. I wouldn't think that it would have any effect on tire wear.
Remember, the AWD isn't full time. It only comes into use when it's needed.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ProfWdesk1
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-25-2004
I just have a 98SL2 ... I drive past the 4-wheel drives on the road in the snow
and ice ... you don't need 4WD hardly ever ... unless you are trying to jump a
creek off a dirt ramp ...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian Talley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-25-2004
ProfWdesk1 wrote:
> I just have a 98SL2 ... I drive past the 4-wheel drives on the road in the snow
> and ice ... you don't need 4WD hardly ever ... unless you are trying to jump a
> creek off a dirt ramp ...


I have an '03 AWD Vue and walk away from most other cars
in the weather we have had so far: a couple feet of snow
and sub-zero temperatures. If you live in an area that gets
a good deal of snow and ice, AWD is an advantage.

Everyone has their own style of driving. I find AWD really
makes a positive difference. You (and the original poster)
may have completely different experiences.

By the way, the Vue is only in AWD mode when the front wheels
slip. Under normal driving conditions it's a FWD vehicle.

Regards,

Brian

 
Reply With Quote
 
James1549
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2004
Well I can tell you this about other GM vehicles...

I help maintain a fleet of support vehicles (mostly GMs) for my company. The
vehicles that have 4wd give us much less exspensive repair problems than the
AWD vehicles. The main difference is that the AWD vehicles have more gear train
hooked up all the time. The 4wd give us very little trouble because it is only
used when the driver needs it.

I personally would never own an AWD vehicle myself. 4wd is the way to go.

Just my opinion, James
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonnie Santos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2004
Isn't the term all-wheel-drive (AWD) as it related to the VUE a misnomer? I
thought I read it's a part-time only system. And that when the front wheels
(actually wheel as in singular - no limited slip either) loose traction,
power is diverted from the front wheel to a rear wheel. I don't know if
it's a full shift/transfer from front to back or a percentage. And I
thought it is like Honda's CRV/Element setup too.

"James1549" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well I can tell you this about other GM vehicles...
>
> I help maintain a fleet of support vehicles (mostly GMs) for my company.

The
> vehicles that have 4wd give us much less exspensive repair problems than

the
> AWD vehicles. The main difference is that the AWD vehicles have more gear

train
> hooked up all the time. The 4wd give us very little trouble because it is

only
> used when the driver needs it.
>
> I personally would never own an AWD vehicle myself. 4wd is the way to go.
>
> Just my opinion, James



 
Reply With Quote
 
PasTech
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2004
"Brian Talley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HnWQb.48723$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ProfWdesk1 wrote:
> > I just have a 98SL2 ... I drive past the 4-wheel drives on the road in

the snow
> > and ice ... you don't need 4WD hardly ever ... unless you are trying to

jump a
> > creek off a dirt ramp ...

>
> I have an '03 AWD Vue and walk away from most other cars
> in the weather we have had so far: a couple feet of snow
> and sub-zero temperatures. If you live in an area that gets
> a good deal of snow and ice, AWD is an advantage.
>
> Everyone has their own style of driving. I find AWD really
> makes a positive difference. You (and the original poster)
> may have completely different experiences.
>
> By the way, the Vue is only in AWD mode when the front wheels
> slip. Under normal driving conditions it's a FWD vehicle.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian


I have to agree, that there is definately a benifit to AWD. I have an 02
AWD, and noticed a big difference in control in adverse weather over my SL2
FWD. I also agree that 90% of your "driveability" is knowing how to drive,
something few people seem to know how to do anymore. That being said, a
little knowhow with a little help from AWD cannot be a bad thing.

The Vue is always in AWD. 60% on front, 40% on rear. (According to Saturn
and the books). However, I have found that once a wheel slips, it might as
well be 1-wheel drive. So, as far as forging rivers, jumping mud pits,
etc., Vue may not be your best choice. (Does anyone actually think it was
designed for that???). For the average driver, dealing with adverse
weather, dirt/mud roads (not paths), and even some LIGHT off-road driving,
the Vue is great.

Have over 100K miles, still running great.

--Glenn


 
Reply With Quote
 
C. E. White
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2004


PasTech wrote:

> "Brian Talley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:HnWQb.48723$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > ProfWdesk1 wrote:
> > > I just have a 98SL2 ... I drive past the 4-wheel drives on the road in

> the snow
> > > and ice ... you don't need 4WD hardly ever ... unless you are trying to

> jump a
> > > creek off a dirt ramp ...

> >
> > I have an '03 AWD Vue and walk away from most other cars
> > in the weather we have had so far: a couple feet of snow
> > and sub-zero temperatures. If you live in an area that gets
> > a good deal of snow and ice, AWD is an advantage.
> >
> > Everyone has their own style of driving. I find AWD really
> > makes a positive difference. You (and the original poster)
> > may have completely different experiences.
> >
> > By the way, the Vue is only in AWD mode when the front wheels
> > slip. Under normal driving conditions it's a FWD vehicle.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Brian

>
> I have to agree, that there is definately a benifit to AWD. I have an 02
> AWD, and noticed a big difference in control in adverse weather over my SL2
> FWD. I also agree that 90% of your "driveability" is knowing how to drive,
> something few people seem to know how to do anymore. That being said, a
> little knowhow with a little help from AWD cannot be a bad thing.
>
> The Vue is always in AWD. 60% on front, 40% on rear. (According to Saturn
> and the books). However, I have found that once a wheel slips, it might as
> well be 1-wheel drive. So, as far as forging rivers, jumping mud pits,
> etc., Vue may not be your best choice. (Does anyone actually think it was
> designed for that???). For the average driver, dealing with adverse
> weather, dirt/mud roads (not paths), and even some LIGHT off-road driving,
> the Vue is great.
>
> Have over 100K miles, still running great.
>
> --Glenn


I think you are wrong about the Vue always being in AWD mode. I beleive the AWD
only engages when slip is detected.

Regards,

Ed White

 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Hancock
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-18-2004
That's right - the AWD system on the Vue only engages when a speed
difference between front and rear exists, otherwise the power is delivered
only to the front wheels.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from http://www.thesaturnforums.com/(E-Mail Removed)
Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/


"C. E. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
> PasTech wrote:
>
> > "Brian Talley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:HnWQb.48723$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > ProfWdesk1 wrote:
> > > > I just have a 98SL2 ... I drive past the 4-wheel drives on the road

in
> > the snow
> > > > and ice ... you don't need 4WD hardly ever ... unless you are trying

to
> > jump a
> > > > creek off a dirt ramp ...
> > >
> > > I have an '03 AWD Vue and walk away from most other cars
> > > in the weather we have had so far: a couple feet of snow
> > > and sub-zero temperatures. If you live in an area that gets
> > > a good deal of snow and ice, AWD is an advantage.
> > >
> > > Everyone has their own style of driving. I find AWD really
> > > makes a positive difference. You (and the original poster)
> > > may have completely different experiences.
> > >
> > > By the way, the Vue is only in AWD mode when the front wheels
> > > slip. Under normal driving conditions it's a FWD vehicle.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Brian

> >
> > I have to agree, that there is definately a benifit to AWD. I have an

02
> > AWD, and noticed a big difference in control in adverse weather over my

SL2
> > FWD. I also agree that 90% of your "driveability" is knowing how to

drive,
> > something few people seem to know how to do anymore. That being said, a
> > little knowhow with a little help from AWD cannot be a bad thing.
> >
> > The Vue is always in AWD. 60% on front, 40% on rear. (According to

Saturn
> > and the books). However, I have found that once a wheel slips, it might

as
> > well be 1-wheel drive. So, as far as forging rivers, jumping mud pits,
> > etc., Vue may not be your best choice. (Does anyone actually think it

was
> > designed for that???). For the average driver, dealing with adverse
> > weather, dirt/mud roads (not paths), and even some LIGHT off-road

driving,
> > the Vue is great.
> >
> > Have over 100K miles, still running great.
> >
> > --Glenn

>
> I think you are wrong about the Vue always being in AWD mode. I beleive

the AWD
> only engages when slip is detected.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ed White
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud: 2002 VUE 2.2 FWD tim.beagle@gmail.com Saturn VUE 2 08-24-2007 02:28 PM
Just Bought 2004 V6 AWD Vue Joe Saturn VUE 3 06-21-2004 06:54 PM
2004 VUE V6 AWD - looking for oil change help jjp Saturn VUE 1 06-21-2004 03:24 AM
Saturn Motorsports break FWD racing record marx404 General Motoring 0 05-09-2004 01:31 AM
How does the 2004 Vue V6 AWD work? Rusty Shackleford Saturn VUE 3 05-02-2004 03:01 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:16 AM.